Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Ivan was good when he was young, but his elder time marasmatic Opritchina system and weak suppressed sons one of which he killed, led Russia into Terrible times.

BTW Vlad Dracula also did lot of good for Moldavia.

Vlad Dracula, Ioan The Terrible, Stalin = seems like same person re-incarnated.

2. Collapse Details
    As far as I have been led to believe Vlad the impaler is a bit of a hero in Romania and not the monster he is portrayed as elsewhere. I can confirm that Henry VIII of England was a brutal tyrant. This is historical fact. Thousands of people were murdered using the most gruesome methods on his orders.
    Кантра давалка

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantra View Post
    As far as I have been led to believe Vlad the impaler is a bit of a hero in Romania and not the monster he is portrayed as elsewhere. I can confirm that Henry VIII of England was a brutal tyrant. This is historical fact. Thousands of people were murdered using the most gruesome methods on his orders.
    Was that the one with lot of wifes?

4. Collapse Details
    I'd say it is an utterly simplified outlook on our history, very much like it is depicted in school books, imho. Specifically, the marasmatic Opritchina. If it helped him to hold for such a long time against his nobles I would not call it ineffective measures. Look at the Poland of that time with its everlasting internal strife.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccow View Post
    I'd say it is an utterly simplified outlook on our history, very much like it is depicted in school books, imho. Specifically, the marasmatic Opritchina. If it helped him to hold for such a long time against his nobles I would not call it ineffective measures. Look at the Poland of that time with its everlasting internal strife.
    I read more than school books but mostly about Ivan Grozly legacy than reign. I read some copies of documents of the Terrible time as well. It's just my personal opinion that Oprichina was nutts solution. He was holding without it and with it. While Oprichniki were Nazgules of Russia at the time, scaring the heck of local population but they suffered defeats against external enemies.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rognarius View Post
    Was that the one with lot of wifes?
    Yes he had six wives. None could produce a living son. Elizabeth was his only daughter and became Queen. She died unmarried and childless. This led to James VI of Scotland ascending the English throne.
    Кантра давалка

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details
    Bah movies again. As they to do with real history.

In 1000 years many of existing documents and publications on historic research will be lost. Our descendants will judge about ancient history by Hollywood movies that will survive due to their huge spread on all sort of media.

9. Collapse Details
    hm, quite the opposite. the 300 movie is extremely historically correct, it's almost scary. and I believe every single thing in that movie!

btw every single student has History, and know the backstory of almost every movie he watches. so don't worry

Thread Information