PDA

View Full Version : Guide to FF (po zhelaniu)

scobi
9.11.2004, 21:59
И так по некоторим желаниям единомишленников представляу
Guide для начинауших в Final Fantasy XI Online.
По некоторим сведениям Акелла начинает дистрибуциу FFXI в России в Ноябре.

Так же хочу подчеркнут то что следует связатся со мноы при регистрации, я обясну как попаст vsem на один сервер (UNICORN), и видам WORLD PASS
а так же помогу с написанием MACROS ну и вообше FF ето очен групповая игра ;) и держатся вместе поможет и развитиу Чара и просто умножит ваш FUN.

Кроме того вибор Рассы очен важен для тех кто хочет развиватся в определенноы специализации, и к етому вопросу лучше подоыти с некоторим планированием, тем более что группи должни бит сбалансировани представителями разних профессий, и разние рассы имеют разние возможности в определенних профессиях
(за исклучением пожалуй HUMANS которие имеут скорее универсалниы набор атрибутов, но не имеут ярковираженних
примушеств в отделних проффесиях)

(FYI My starting location city of Windrust, server UNICORN, char names SCOBI , RONJERREMY )

И так
============================================
Starting City
-------------

Bastok: Im partial to Bastok easy to navigate, everything is relatively close. Leveling for the first 10 levels here will be somewhat easy.

Windurst: Windurst is the biggest of the starting city's, It's not for the faint of heart. After getting the moghouse exit quest done it will be easier to get around. As well figuring out the few NPC`s that will teleport you around free of charge. Great potential of making allot of gil off of crawlers with the silk threads they drop.

San Doria: Although I have not spent much time in San, My impression of the city is somewhat bland. Its nice and easy to get around, you will run in one direction for a little bit of time to get to any destination.

Your first experience:
---------------------

When you first login to the game, you will be welcome by a NPC that will give you information regarding your starting city. It is good info to remember but not important. Get familiar with the map system here. Place markers of special NPC/store you want to remember.

Getting ready to start leveling:
--------------------------------

On your map you will see areas that exit the city where you can start the battling experience. Make your way to the exit. You will see guards around the exit, One may give you missions another will give you signet. Plus extra various things later on. I cant not stress this enough ALWAYS OBTAIN SIGNET. This is what allows you to get crystals off the enemies you fight. This will be your main source of income for the first 10 levels.

You will get allot of items from the MOBS you defeat. If your inventory get to full, make a trip to your MOG house, this is otherwise known as the residential area located in your starting city. In your mog house you will meet your moogle maybe for the first time. Explore the different options you have with him. You have a MOG safe, drop majority of your items in here. Then battle on.

Your first 10 levels:
---------------------

For your first 5 levels defeat mobs just outside your starting city. Bee's and rarabs are the most frequent in any starting city. They are very easy to kill, although some may give you a hard time. Reference your manual on how to check MOBs for difficulty challenge.

Once you get on to level 5, start moving away from the city. The farther you go the more difficult the MOBS will get. This will balance your XP you obtain. At this time look at what items you have. If you have any stacks of 12 in one particular item this will be great gil for you.

Its time to go to the auction house, otherwise known as AH. Get all the items you want to sell and place preferable stacks of 12 in the auction house. Play around with the AH get a feel for how it works. Before placing anything for sale in the AH, make sure you check previous history of the item/s. This will give you an idea of how much to sell the item at and it will give you an idea of what its worth.

Items worth noting:

1. Fire crystals can stack to 12 1600-2000 varies on server
2. Beehive chips can stack to 12 3000
3. Bird eggs can stack to 12 1000-12000
4. Silk threads can stack to 12 8000 - 12000
5. wind crystals can stack to 12 1400 - 1600
6. Goblin armor - various non stackable 400 min
7 quadav back plates non stack able 600 est
8. Yugawdo necklaces non stack able 200

Like i said check the price history, these prices flux from server to server. After placing these in the AH, Go out and get up to level 7. Once level 7 is obtained venture back to the AH and see if your items have sold. These items will sell fast so it should be sold by now. If sold the GIL goes to your delivery box inside your MOG house. With this gil you will start to update yourself with new equipment. depending of class of course. If your a mage class you would need to make gil in the early levels because of spell costs. Other may wish to do this earlier as well.

Shop around when updating your character. Always check two different prices. AH is often times more expensive, other times you can get the deal of your low level life. Armor and weapon shops are very convent for pricing.

After updating, go get level ten, stock up on items and sell.

When should i do mission one:
----------------------------

I would do mission one for any of the starting city's between lvl 8 - 10. you should have no trouble, but read up on the mission and it always help if you organize a party to get this done.

When i hit 10 in BLM, i decided i would do allot of the quests in Bastok. Quests are different than missions. quests are given to your by the people of your city. missions are given to you by the city gaurd/king/mayor. Doing quest in your city will give you increased fame as well some nice gil and even items you will use to your mid levels. Some items you will never use and can sell in the AH.

After i was fully equipped to the best of my ability's and had my spells bought for the next 3 levels it was time to start leveling again.

After level 10:
---------------

At level 10, you should have at least rank 1, fro doing the missions. Obtained a decent amount of gil. Fully updated yourself for the nest 2 to 3 levels. before leaving the city go to the guard that gives you signet. At this time another option will be available for you. Spending conquest points.

Conquest points are given to you when you defeat MoBS while having signet. Conquest points are used to buy items. With rank one you will have an option to purchase rank one items. You should have an est around 1000-1500 CC points. Depending on your job, you may want to get an items right away, sell and items here in the AH or save your points for later on. Its your choice.

Its time to level again:
------------------------

Bastok: Make your way to the highlands, south-gustberg-north gustaberg-highlands.
Windurst: Make your way to Tahrongi Canyon, Sarutabaruta West-Sarutabaruta East-Tahrongi Canyon
San doria: Make your way to La Theine Plateau, Ronfaure East-Ronfaure West-La Theine Plateau ( not 100% about this one)

In these areas you will get first hand experience on what its like to be in a party AKA PT. This is going to be one of the most educational ventures for you. Treasure it and get to know it inside and out. Depending on your job you will have a pretty good idea what your role would be in the party. Your role will change over time how ever ask questions if you have them, its better to ask and know how, then to fail and not know how. :/

XP here will be moderate, have fun for the first level or two here. get to know the PT you in and how it works.

Off to the Dunes:
----------------

One of most hated places in the game. Allot of reason why, however i wont elaborate. This is where your going to get a few things done. First head back to your starting city drop off items/sell items update equipment/spells/food.

In the dunes, getting a PT will be pretty fast depending on job, ThF will have the hardest time. Level here until 18 - 20. Repeat going back to your city when you need to. Dont forget signet.

While in the dunes, you will meet different types of people, some people will have advanced jobs other will have sub jobs. If you have questions these are the people to ask.

Sub job:
-------

A mile stone everyone looks forward to is their sub job. While in the dunes you can get the items you need for the quest. Magiked skull/ crab apron / damselfly worm. This quest is located in selbina( look under selbina for SJ quest). To get these items ask your PT that you need the items for your SJ they will keep an eye out for the MOBS that need to be defeated.

Ghoul = Magiked skull Clippers = crab apron damselfly = damselfly worm

When you finish the quest, go back to your MOG house and switch job. Your SJ will be your main, and switch your main job to your SJ for the time being. As for Leveling your Sj I think you know what to do here, when leveled your SJ to its desired level, switch back to your main. An level until you hit 20 in your main.

Selbina Sub job guide http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/quests.html?fquest=142

Mharu Sub Job guide http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/quests.html?realm=Other&fquest=158

What now:
---------

At level 20, there a few different ways you can go. First get rank 2 and the various one between 2 & 3. At this point you need to get 4 Gausebit Grass. Why you ask, well this is for your chocobo Kupo! You can farm for these in Dangruf Wadi or Meriphataud Mountains. Or buy it for 400 gil per. ( EST )

Off to Jueno, Many people recommend change your main to a level 1 character and running to jueno, in case you get aggro`d you wont lose any experience. I traveled with my main there. After you get to jueno do the "Chocobo's Wounds" quest to get your choco. Tour Jueno and get to know it, its pretty simple to learn jueno, This might be the first time you rent a room. This is your MOG house, it can move to what ever city you want it to. (some features are not available in rent-a-room.)

Quifim:
-------

Quifim is a scary place in the beginning, many bad MOBS here, When i first seen an giant I almost fell of my chair. You wont be in quifim long. EXP here will be very fast and easy, PT roles will be more known and the status title of n00b will be almost removed of many players. Although some it takes longer, hehe.

When you hit level 25 prepare for a side track of leveling because you need to do a few things.

After level 25 :
----------------

Mission 3, This is one of the most exciting missions, Read up on what you need to do, in the end you will fight a dragon. The first time for me was awesome, my heart was racing and the excitement was amazing. Doing mission 3 will take some time. The first half can be soloed the Dragon fight you need a PT of 6.

After completing the mission. Its off to Kazham, how ever you need to get there by Airship. You dont have an airship pass you say, well lets get it.

Head to Port Jeuno and talk to Guddal, who tells you that there are 2 ways to get the pass; pay 148,000 gil or give him 3 keys, Giddeus chest key, Ghelsba chest key, and Palborough mines key.

Giddeus Treasure key from Yagudo Priest, Yagudo Votary, and Yagudo Theolgist in Giddeus.

Ghelsba Treasure Key from Orcish Fighter, Orcish Serjeant, and Oricish Curesmaker and in Yughott Grotto or Fort Ghelba.

Palborough mines chest key from Old Quadav, Brass Quadav, and Copper Quadav in Palborough mines.

Return to Guddal and give him the keys he gives you a the Airship Pass.

This is why we did your choco quest first, you will see why. lol

Kazham:
-------

Kazham is a tropical small version of quifim, mad XP. Have fun here, and level like crazy.

Beyond this point I can write more but my poor little taru fingers are tired and need resty westy. Plus it would not be that accurate because I haven't ventured that far yet. So I leave you with this somewhat guide to FFXI. Hope it helps you and enjoy.

scobi
9.11.2004, 22:31
Which Job is Right for You?

The job system in Final Fantasy XI is one of the game's most defining features, and it is also the subject of much debate among players. Since the job you choose at the beginning of the game basically determines how you'll be playing from then on, it is very important to choose a job that suits your style of play. Here, we go in-depth with each job discussing its particular advantages and disadvantages. We will also take a look at which other jobs make the best sub job for your character. The first six we have listed here are available at the start of the game. The next few only become available when you have reached level thirty or higher; they are known as advanced jobs.

Warrior

Description:
The Warrior is one of the game's most basic classes, and is a solid choice for any melee style player. The Warrior has strong attack power, a good defense rating, and plenty of abilities to aid them in combat. Warriors also have access to a wide variety of one-handed and two-handed weapons as well as a good number of defensive items. As a Warrior, you will be a valuable asset in any combat situation, and you can tank for your party better than all the other classes with the exception of the Paladin. The big drawback for a Warrior is the fact that they have absolutely no magical abilities available to them.

Sub Jobs:
As a Warrior, you'll most likely want to pick another melee-based job as your support job. Subbing Monk as a Warrior is a great choice due to the HP boost, defense, and abilities that you can use. The Monk's Counter ability works well to give you a few extra hits during combat, and with the Warrior's own Double Attack ability, you'll be dealing out plenty of damage to make you a worthwhile party member. Subbing Thief is also a good choice for the Warrior class. The Thief class will improve your dexterity and evasion, as well as giving you access to some special Thief abilities. Generally, Warriors should not sub magic classes, but if you plan to play solo a lot, you may want to look into subbing as a White Mage for its healing abilities.

Abilities:
Provoke: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 30 seconds. This move attempts to make the monster target the user.

Berserk: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 5 minutes. This move increases your attack power, but lowers defense.

Defender: Obtained at level 25 and usable every 3 minutes. The ying to Berserk's yang; this move heightens defense, but lowers your attack power.

Warcry: Obtained at level 35 and usable every 5 minutes. This move boosts the attack power of all party members in range.

Aggressor: Obtained at level 45 and usable every 5 minutes. This move will improve the user's accuracy, but lower his or her evasion.

Mighty Strikes: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move will turn every hit into a critical hit. Lasts only about 45 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thief

Description:
Any wise FFXI player will tell you that the Thief is the most underrated class in the game. Thieves are often overlooked in favor of damage dealers like Warriors or Black Mages, but a good Thief player can easily hold their own by utilizing their abilities in combat. Thieves have a naturally high dexterity allowing them to hit the enemy more often than other classes, and a high evasion which means they get hit less. Also, the Thieves' weapons usually have a shorter delay than those of other classes. So while a Thief may not deal as much damage per hit as say, a Warrior, they do tend to get in more hits on average. Not only that, but abilities such as Trick Attack and Sneak Attack can deal huge amounts of damage to any mob. The main disadvantage of the Thief is their weak defense. Yes, the high evasion helps to prevent them from getting hit, but the enemy won't miss all the time, and when they do hit, the Thief is going to take more damage than Warriors or Paladins.

Sub Jobs:
Subbing Warrior as a Thief can be very convenient. You will get a boost in the defense department, and also gain some extra attack skills. If you find that you'd rather have more hit points, consider subbing Monk as a strong possibility. However, subbing the advanced job Ninja as a Thief may yield the best results. Ninja and Thieves both have a high evasion and dexterity; plus you can take advantage of the Ninja's dual wield ability to strike twice every turn, and with the rather short delay on most Thief weapons, the damage will start to add up in a hurry.

Abilities:
Steal: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes; allows you to steal an item from your enemy.

Sneak Attack: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 60 seconds. You must stand behind the enemy when using this; will deal much greater damage than an ordinary attack.

Flee: Obtained at level 25 and usable every 5 minutes. Increases the speed at which you move; very useful for escaping dangerous scenarios.

Trick Attack: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 60 seconds. Deal significantly more damage when you attack from behind a party member.

Mug: Obtained at level 35 and usable every 5 minutes. Allows you to steal gil from the enemy.

Hide: Obtained at level 45 and usable every 5 minutes. Avoid enemy encounters by hiding.

Perfect Dodge: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move lasts about 30 seconds and allows you to dodge all attacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monk

Description:
Monks are yet another fine choice for melee players. The Monk class is capable of dealing out some nice damage, and they possess massive amounts of hit points. As a Monk, you'll find that it's best to stand toe to toe with a monster and duke it out. Monks also make nice additions to parties that are looking for an extra damage dealer. The Monk gains some cool abilities, such as Counter, and the Monk's two-hour, Hundred Fists, is one of the neatest moves in the game. However, Monks may find good armor hard to come by at higher levels.

Sub Jobs:
Again, it's best to stick with another melee job as your sub. Monks will get a hit point boost and strength boost by subbing Warrior. Also, with the Counter ability and the Warrior's Double Attack, you will be getting in a lot of extra hits during combat. Aside from Warrior, the Thief is also a solid sub choice. The high evasion and agility of the Thief always makes it an attractive option; plus you'll be able to find more items and gil. Utilizing the TP gaining trait of the Samurai can also be great for a Monk. Monk's can deal serious damage using their skills, and subbing Samurai will make these moves available more often.

Abilities:
Boost: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 15 seconds. This simply increases the damage dealt by your next attack.

Dodge: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 5 minutes; increases user's evasion.

Focus: Obtained at level 25 and usable every 5 minutes; increases user's accuracy.

Chakra: Obtained at level 35 and usable every 15 minutes. This move will restore a portion of the user's hit points.

Chi Blast: Obtained at level 41 and usable every 3 minutes; deals damage to the enemy.

CounterStance: Obtained at level 45 and usable every 5 minutes. Decreases defense, but increases chance of delivering a counter blow.

Hundred Fists: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. Allows you to attack continuously for about one minute.

White Mage

Description:
The White Mage is the true backbone of any party. Absolutely irreplaceable in a party; the White Mage has the most important job of all: keeping everyone in the party alive and well during even the most heated battles. As a White Mage you will need to keep a sharp eye on your party members' hit points and be able to react quickly and heal anyone in need. The White Mage is also highly respected for the ability to raise those who have died. The White Mage specializes in all forms of healing spells. Spells like Cure, Curaga, and Protect all aim to keep your party members alive throughout combat. You will also have access to a few enfeebling spells such as Dia and Paralyze. Being a White Mage means you will never have problems finding a party, but you will have trouble staying alive when you're soloing as the defense of this class is severely lacking.

Sub Jobs:
Now, since we have reached the magic classes, we are going to want to stick predominantly with magic subs. One of the most obvious choices is to sub as a Black Mage. This will boost your overall MP and give you the ability to use some damage dealing spells during combat. Another solid choice is the advanced Bard job. As a Bard, you can heal and support the party without losing magic points. Also, you will be able to regenerate hit points and magic points more quickly. The last attractive option as a White Mage is the Summoner job. This will boost your MP, and give you the ability to call mystical beings to aid your party in combat.

Abilities:
Divine Seal: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 10 minutes. This will increase the effect of your next healing spell.

Benediction: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move will restore the HP of all your party members. Be careful when using this move as it draws huge amounts of aggro from the enemy.

Black Mage

Description:
The Black Mage is the force of the mage family. Black Mages specialize in powerful, damage-dealing spells that aid melee fighters in pummeling a monster. The Black Mage has a lot of MP to draw from and can deal more damage in a single hit than even the beefiest melee fighter. The only weakness a Black Mage has is its poor defense rating. As long as the enemy is not targeting them, they are an extremely valuable asset to any party.

Sub Jobs:
Once again, you're going to want to take on a magic sub. Really, the only two jobs worth subbing as a Black Mage are the White Mage and Summoner. Both of these will give you a healthy boost in the MP department, but while subbing Summoner will allow you to call summons into battle, the White Mage is probably the better choice due to gained magic resistance, and the ability to heal as well as hurt.

Abilities:
Elemental Seal: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 10 minutes. This will improve your next magic attack.

Manafont: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move allows you to cast spells at will without decreasing your MP; lasts only 30 seconds.

Red Mage

Description:
The Red Mage is a very unique class in that it is incredibly well balanced across all areas. A Red Mage can use a variety of weapons and armor and work well fighting alongside Warriors and Monks, but they also are able to use both white and black magic spells. The Red Mage is the ultimate support character for any party because of their unparalleled versatility. The drawback to being a Red Mage is that while they can use both white and black magic, they generally must be at a higher level than a White Mage or Black Mage to use the same ability. For example, a White Mage has access to the Raise spell at level 25, but a Red Mage cannot use the spell until he or she is at least level 38.

Sub Jobs:
When playing as a Red Mage, your best bet is again to sub either the White Mage or Black Mage job. Subbing White Mage is useful if you intend to focus on healing support, while Black Mage may be a better choice if you are going for damage. The Summoner is also an interesting choice and gives the Red Mage even more versatility than before. Melee class subs should still be avoided in favor of the aforementioned magic subs.

Abilities:
Convert: Obtained at level 40 and usable every 10 minutes. This will swap your HP value with that of your MP.

ChainSpell: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. Allows you to fire off spells repeatedly for about 30 seconds.

Paladin

Description:
The Paladin is a White Mage's best friend. The job of the Paladin is to grab a monster's attention, and keep it. This makes the White Mage's healing job much simpler as he or she can focus on the Paladin's hit points almost exclusively. The Paladin makes the ultimate tank for a party with their high defense rating, strong armor, and vast HP sink. In order to ensure the Paladin's safety, they are also capable of using some basic white magic spells to keep them alive during battle.

Sub Jobs:
The Warrior is probably the best choice for a sub job as a Paladin. The Warrior class will give you a strength boost as well as many key abilities that a Paladin will find very handy. As a Paladin, it's important to hold aggro, and the Warrior's provoke ability makes this a much simpler task. The Paladin also uses some healing magic, so don't rule out the possibility of subbing as a White Mage. This will boost your magic abilities further to help you stay alive.

Abilities:
Holy Circle: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes. This move increases the party's resistance to undead foes.

Shield Bash: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 5 minutes. Attack and stun the target; you must have a shield equipped to use this move.

Sentinel: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 5 minutes; boosts the user's defense.

Cover: Obtained at level 35 and usable every 5 minutes. Stand between the enemy and a party member in order to take the brunt of the enemy's attack.

Rampart: Obtained at level 62 and usable every 5 minutes. This move will boost the defense of all party members within range.

Invincible: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. The Paladin will not be harmed by the enemy's attacks for about 30 seconds.

Dark Knight

Description:
As far as pure damage dealers go, the Dark Knights of Vana'diel rank among the best. As a Dark Knight you'll make short work of many foes and prove to be a valuable asset to any party. Not only do Dark Knights dish out impressive physical damage, but they can also use a fair number of black magic spells such as Fire II, Stone II, and Bio II. The only problem the Dark Knight has is its weak defense. A Dark Knight makes a poor tank, so be sure that you have either a competent Paladin or Warrior in your group to take most of the heat.

Sub Jobs:
Since the Dark Knight is mainly focused on dealing physical damage, it is best to pick another melee class for your sub here. Choosing Warrior is probably the most solid decision as you will gain a slight boost in defense which is desirable given the Dark Knight's rather low default defense ranking. It may sound intriguing to sub Paladin as a Dark Knight in an attempt to gain the best of both worlds, but in reality, this makes a fairly mediocre character at best. As complete opposites, the Paladin and Dark Knight do not mesh well together. If you don't think you want to sub Warrior, consider Samurai as an alternative. The TP gain of the Samurai will allow your Dark Knight to use special attacks more frequently for big damage.

Abilities:
Arcane Circle: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes; raises party's resistance to arcana.

Last Resort: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 5 minutes. Boosts attack power at the expense of defensive power.

Weapon Bash: Obtained at level 20 and usable every 5 minutes. This move lands a blow capable of stunning the target; a two-handed weapon must be equipped to use it.

Souleater: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 6 minutes. Improves attacks by draining hit points from the user.

Blood Weapon: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. The user's attacks will drain the target's HP as well as deal damage.

Dragoon

Description
Another good choice for a pure damage dealer; Dragoons can deliver crushing blows to enemies, but like the Dark Knight, they have a relatively poor defense rating. In a party, the Dragoon is free to tear into opponents at will as long as there is a Warrior or Paladin there to hold aggro. The Dragoon's offensive prowess can turn the tide of battle at any given moment, and the Dragoon's pet acts as a seventh party member dealing out decent damage and using a special attack whenever its master uses a weapon skill. Playing as Dragoon, there is only one weapon you should concern yourself with: the polearm. Dragoons specialize in using these weapons to dish out the pain.

Sub Jobs:
Perhaps the most competent sub as a Dragoon is the Warrior. It may seem as though Warrior has come up a lot when deciding on sub jobs, and it has. Quite simply, the Warrior's abilities and attack bonuses provide excellent results when combined with another melee class. However impressive the Dragoon/Warrior combo might be, there is another alternative that may yield fantastic results as well. Subbing Samurai will allow the Dragoon to use weapon skills frequently to dish out copious amounts of damage. This combo isn't really effective until you have reached higher levels, but using a move like Penta Thrust every few seconds is easily worth the effort.

Abilities:
Ancient Circle: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes; raises the party's resistance against dragons.

Jump: Obtained at level 10 and usable every 90 seconds. The user jumps into the air and lands on top of the enemy to deal damage.

High Jump: Obtained at level 35 and usable every 3 minutes. An upgraded version of the standard jump attack; does more damage.

Super Jump: Obtained at level 50 and usable every 5 minutes. An even better version of the jump attack; this move will shed the aggro gained by the user during combat.

Call Wyvern: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This allows you to call your pet wyvern to fight alongside you. If the wyvern lives for the entire 2 hours, you may use this again immediately after the wyvern is killed.

Ranger

Description:
The Ranger can become the most powerful character in the game when it comes to hurting the enemy. A Ranger can dish out ludicrous amounts of damage, but they should be protected by a Warrior or Paladin at all times. Another disadvantage is that playing Ranger gets very expensive as you'll need to constantly supply yourself with ammunition for your weapon. However, the insane damage is well worth the cost if you're a devoted player. Aside from the solid damage done by normal attacks, Rangers also gain some of the strongest job abilities in the game.

Sub Jobs:
For pure damage, once again go with Warrior as your sub. There simply isn't much out there that can deal more damage than this fierce combination. If you're considering alternatives, both Ninja and Thief can be nice subs. They both offer higher evasion, but overall the Thief may be the better choice due to the abilities gained. Although the Ninja's dual wield can be attractive, you'll probably want to stick mostly with bows and firearms as a Ranger.

Abilities:
Sharpshot: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes. This move improves the user's accuracy of attacks.

Scavenge: Obtained at level 10 and usable every 5 minutes; allows the user to search for hidden treasure.

Camouflage: Obtained at level 20 and usable every 5 minutes; makes the user harder to find for enemies.

Barrage: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 5 minutes. This allows you to fire a volley of arrows at an opponent.

Shadowbind: Obtained at level 40 and usable every 5 minutes. This move binds an enemy, making it impossible for the target to move.

Unlimited Shot: Obtained at level 51 and usable every 3 minutes. The user may fire their next shot without using any ammunition.

Eagle Eye Shot: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move does a huge amount of damage and is incredibly accurate.

Samurai

Description:
Another potent melee class; the Samurai's greatest asset is their ability to gain TP at an astonishing rate. Party with a Samurai, and you'll see just how often they are able to use weapon skills. This alone makes the class an interesting choice, and they have some of the sickest looking armor in the game. Just be warned, the great looking armor does not necessarily mean the Samurai makes a good tank. As with most jobs, the Samurai works best when aggro is held by a Warrior or Paladin.

Sub Jobs:
Yet again Warrior makes a great sub for the budding Samurai. The power and defense gained have made this one of the most popular subs for Samurai all across Vana'diel. If you think you could do without the extra bonuses of the Warrior, consider the Thief as another option, the Thief's dexterity will benefit you greatly and help to build TP even more quickly.

Abilities:
Warding Circle: Obtained at level 5 and usable every 5 minutes. This move raises the party's defense against demons.

Third Eye: Obtained at level 15 and usable every 60 seconds. This move allows the user to dodge the next enemy attack.

Meditate: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 60 seconds. Meditating will build TP even when you're not attacking.

Meikyo Shisui: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. A handy technique that will cause weapon skills to use up only 100 TP allowing the Samurai to effectively skill chain off of himself.

Ninja

Description:
Like Thieves, Ninja have a naturally high agility and dexterity rating. This makes them quick attackers and allows them to dodge more enemy attacks than other classes. Ninja are also capable of using special techniques similar to magic to enhance their own abilities, cause status ailments to the enemy, or directly damage the enemy. The Ninja gain several useful job traits as they progress, including the impressive dual wield technique that allows them to equip two weapons simultaneously and attack with both. Plus, the Utsusemi technique makes the Ninja virtually impossible to hit as attacks will be absorbed by their shadow. The Ninja only has one main job ability, but this is offset by the Ninjutsu techniques that can be acquired.

Sub Jobs:
The Thief would probably be the best choice for a Ninja sub due to the fact that it compliments the Ninja's naturally high agility and dexterity and boosts them further. Plus, as discussed earlier, the Sneak and Trick Attack abilities can deal some serious damage. Subbing Warrior can also be a good decision due to the abilities gained and the defense boost of the class, but this choice may pale in comparison to the Thief sub.

Abilities:
Mijin Gakure: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This kamikaze move is a suicide attack in which the Ninja self destructs in order to deal damage to the enemy; however, even though the Ninja is killed, there is no experience penalty.

Bard

Description:
One of the more unique job classes in the game. The Bard is almost a pure support character that increases various party stats through the use of musical instruments. The songs of the Bard can improve combat abilities, increase health and magic regeneration, or cause status ailments to the enemy. The Bard may seem rather underwhelming at first, but make no mistake; any mage in the game will gladly take a Bard into his or her party. Like the Ninja, the Bard has just one job ability, but this again is offset by the songs that can be acquired.

Sub Jobs:
The Bard is rather limited when it comes to choosing a sub. The only option worth looking into is the White Mage. This will give you an MP boost and the ability to use additional healing spells along with your songs. This makes a good combination because a Bard's main role is keeping the party up and running with as little time spent healing as possible. By using the White Mage's curing magic, the Bard will become even more fit for this role.

Abilities:
Soul Voice: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours; this move improves the effectiveness of the user's song.

Summoner

Description:
Users of the forbidden magic: summoning. A Summoner uses magical abilities to call forth mystical beings to aid them in combat. Some of these creatures will use healing powers to keep the party alive, while others will join in on the damage side of things by directly attacking the enemy. A Summoner alone cannot use white or black magic and has just one job ability. However, with the right sub the Summoner can cast spells in addition to summoning their pets. The single job ability of the Summoner is overshadowed by the list of beings they are capable of calling forth.

Sub Jobs:
Your two best bets as a Summoner are the Black and White Mage classes. Choose Black Mage if you want to be able to cast damage spells along with your summons, and go with White Mage if you prefer to do some support healing. Note that subbing White Mage will not make you the main healer of a party, but it can be very useful when battling difficult monsters; your support healing will be greatly appreciated by the rest of your group members.

Abilities:
Astral Flow: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This move allows your summons to perform devastating attacks.

Beastmaster

Description:
The Beastmaster allows you to bring wild creatures under your control and use them to assail other monsters. This makes the Beastmaster an excellent choice for the player that prefers to play alone. In fact, there really isn't another job that can solo as well as the Beastmaster. The Beastmaster may find it rather difficult to join a party as taming strong enemies will cause the group to gain less experience points per battle.

Sub Jobs:
The Beastmaster has some interesting choices when it comes to picking a sub job. The staple Warrior is certainly a nice option as it offers the same power and defense bonuses that it always has, but it doesn't stand alone here. A Beastmaster may find the defensive bonuses of the Paladin outweigh those of the Warrior, and you can use some minimal healing magic. A third solid choice is that of the White Mage. A Beastmaster generally should leave the fighting up to its pets, but there will be times when they may come under direct attack and the healing magic can be useful in just such a situation. However, the strength of the Warrior may be an even bigger advantage in that case. Really, it depends on how you want to play. All of the above choices make for a solid character capable of soloing well.

Abilities:
Charm: Available immediately and usable every 5 minutes. This is used to bring an enemy under your control.

Gauge: Obtained at level 10 and usable every 30 seconds. Gives the user the ability to judge how likely a beast is to succumb to Charm.

Reward: Obtained at level 12 and usable every 3 minutes; allows user to heal their pets.

Call Beast: Obtained at level 23 and usable every 5 minutes; calls a beast.

Tame: Obtained at level 30 and usable every 10 minutes. This move should be used before attempting to Charm strong monsters. It lowers the monster's chance to resist the Charm ability.

Familiar: Available immediately and usable just once every 2 hours. This ability strengthens your pets and keeps them under your control for a longer period of time.

scobi
9.11.2004, 23:07
Advanced Jobs

Back to Contents

The Advanced Jobs are Dark Knight, Paladin, Ranger, Bard, Beast Master, Samurai, Ninja, Dragoon, and Summoner. You much be *at least* level 30 in a basic to obtain any of the advanced job quests. This means you should have another job at least at level 15, since you will suffer greatly if you try to go to 30 without a subjob. Dark Knight, Ranger, and Bard are probably the easiest of the advanced jobs to get. Paladin and Beastmaster are the next easiest. Samurai, Ninja, and Dragoon all require at least one difficult combat for which you will either need a full party around level 35 (or higher) or one level 60+ person helping. Summoner is a special case, it probably has the most involved subjob quest, but most of it isn't that difficult once you obtain the Ruby, except for getting the Ice Element (see Allakazham's guide for getting this job to know what I am talking about). Despite the name though, Advanced Jobs are generally no more powerful than basic jobs, they just require effort to get. Those that do have more power (such as the damage capability of the Ranger) require a constant high cost to maintain. In general Advanced Jobs do not make good subjobs. The main exceptions are Summoner, Samurai and Ninja past level 60 main, and, in special cases, Beast Master. Dragoon makes a particularly bad sub, since you won't have your wyvern.

The damage dealing Advanced Jobs:

Back to Contents

Dark Knight: This is one of the most popular jobs, hence if you go this route you will eventually have some difficulty getting parties. From 1-20 this job *can* tank, but a Paladin or Warrior is better at it. After that the defensive capabilities of this job rapidly diminish, to the point where it is insane to ask them to tank. They are capable of dealing massive damage, especially once they hit level 30 and beyond. Make no mistake however, you have mana for a reason. When you get to the late 20s and early 30s, start getting the Absorb spells, these can boost party performance by quite a bit, and no other job (not even the Black Mage) has them. Also get Drain and Aspir, and learn what monsters have mana. Don't nuke, you aren't any good at it..nuking is a novelty ability for you. If you learn to master your spell use (and control your mana use), then you will be a sought after Dark Knight once you build a reputation. Popular and good subjobs are ones that increase strength and damage, which include Warrior, Thief, Monk, Ninja (less popular and controversial though), and at level 60 and beyond, Samurai. You may be tempted to sub a Mage job with this or the Paladin...DON'T! These aren't mages, and you need to focus on combat!

Ranger: One of, if not the most expensive jobs. You must buy arrows for this job, lots of them. Early on you might get 99 arrows for a few hundred gil, but as time goes on stacks of arrows rapidly increase in price. 12 stacks of Silver Arrows (level requirement 24), for instance, go for 20k quite easily. As such you don't want to start working on this job until you have a ton of money. Not only is this job a good damage dealer (because both arrows and bows contribute to damage), but it also is an excellent puller. At level 1 you get Wide Scan, used in your map view. This allow you to see where monsters are located on your map. A Very powerful and useful ability that can turn a mediocre or bad location for gaining experience into a superb one. You'll need to learn monster levels on your own if you do this though, as to be truly effective you won't have time to do /check's. Watch how much damage you are doing in the beginning, as you don't want to get too much hate before your tank has had time to build up his own. If you learn these functions of the job then you should have little trouble getting parties...and less organizing your own (especially if you know a good place to get experience that parties without ranger-pullers can't use). Ninja and Thief are the primary choices for a Subjob, both give good agility (a must for damage). The Ninja will allow you to cast Blink on yourself later as well, which can help if you are drawing aggro too much.

Samurai: The king of TP, they build this up at an insane speed. Starting at level 10 they gain an increase to the TP they get from each attack they make, then at level 30 they gain Meditate. This skill is insanely good, giving you +100% TP over a few seconds, and it is recastable *every 3 minutes*. They don't do a lot of damage on their own, but parties with Black Mages will love you as you can now give them a Magic Burst or two every battle. Samurai, like the other damage jobs, are *not* tanks however, so don't try to do this. Also, you'll want at least two other melee jobs (one will be your tank) in a party with a Samurai, since otherwise you are wasting a lot of potential skill chains (the idea is that you will have two-person chains, the Samurai being one of those people for the two meleers). Warrior, Thief, and Monk are the primary options for a subjob here.

Dragoon: The Dragon can deal out an extraordinary amount of damage, thanks to his Wyvern who will deal half the damage the Dragoon does. Also, depending on the subjob, the Wyvern will have different special attacks. If you have a non-mp damage class, then it will have a special attack whenever you do a weapon skill. If you have a mage class, then it will heal when you cast a spell and are down to 1/3 of your health (I believe, correct me if I am wrong). Check out the Dragoon forum for more information. Good subs for a Dragoon are Warrior, Monk, Thief, and later Samurai (slightly contested).

Ninja: Another very expensive job. You'll need money for your 'spells' and the items that your spells require. Ninja 'spells' don't use mana, rather each time you cast it you use up 1 of the appropriate tool. High levels of various crafts (I think every craft can produce a tool or more) is recommended. Ninjas can tank well and debuff, so they aren't a pure damage dealing. They can tank by virtue of their Blink spell, which blocks 3 attacks (be they physical or magical), and higher level version block more. Very expensive to be a tank like this, but it is catching on. Thief is a good sub if you aren't tanking...if you are then go with Warrior or Monk (probably warrior). Don't go into a party past level 12 without buying or questing Utsusemi and having plenty of Shihei.

Support Advanced Jobs

Summoner: This Job basically requires that you have another job at least level 60 so that you can get all the Avatars..this also means you need high fame in all the starting cities. As such, it is a job to do after you have worked on other jobs extensively. They have a lot of mana, and they need it, as their summons cost a lot of mana to keep out. As such they get mana regen like a Black Mage does, but additionally at level 25 they get refresh (constant healing of 1 mp every 3 seconds wether you are resting or not), this improves at much later levels. The Summoner, unlike past FF games, is not a very good damage dealer (though Fenrir might have changed this somewhat). Instead they are much better as a support class, with some insane group spells, like a group blink and group haste. The good group abilities all require avatars though, and your starting one (Carbunkle) doesn't really give you a lot.

Bard: A king of support! This is, in fact, their only useful ability. They can cast songs to dramatically boost party members, and to debuff the enemy....that's about it. Get used to running around a lot with this one, as you'll want the Mages and Fighters to stand a fair distance apart...each one gets different buffs. You are not going to have to to melee if you do your job well, but you will make the melee and magic of everyone else far more effective. A rare job, probably because it is a bit boring to play, but one that will never have trouble finding a party. White Mage is typically subbed for the Charisma bonus, as well as utility heals.

The Tank!

The Paladin: Probably the ultimate Tank in the game, this is balanced by the fact that they do the worst damage of any melee job. They can take damage and maintain aggro though. If you choose to be a Paladin, don't expect to do a lot of damage, do expect to keep the mages and everyone else alive though. Also, remember to cast cure on yourself, and at level 37+ cast Flash (a blinding spell) on the enemy. Both are powerful ways to maintain aggro. Subbing Warrior with this job is highly recommended, as Provoke gives you another powerful aggro-maintaining tool. They are gifted with one-handed swords, clubs, and staves...I recommend getting your club and sword up. Clubs can be used to get back some mana (level 100 and 125 weapon skills), now and then, which might be preferable to resting (even more preferably is that you invest money in juices to regen mana).

I HATE people, and I wanna play Solo!
Beastmaster: This is the only class that can solo to 75. The Beastmaster can charm monsters to work for him. Stick with Evens and lower level monsters, and don't both charming until you are around the 9th level. I could go on in more detail, but the Beastmaster Forum has an excellent post on playing this class, and I am not going to sully it with my poor words.

Combat:
General Combat Info

Learn to make and use Macros, take a very close look at Ralluwen's post. He got almost everything right. Any ability that you use often (every few battles or more), or that you need an emergency (such as 2-hour abilities, or Sleep/Escape/Warp) should be on a Macro. Remember that is the same as and that - is your party (Ralluwen got the last part wrong, as Stranded pointed out). Additionally, alliance members can be chosen with - and - will target members of an alliance, so it is a good idea to have cures setup for these if you are going to be in one (eventually you will be). The first set will target the first alliance group, the second will target the second alliance group.

Always talk to the Guard near the Gate to the outside before you get experience. You want Signet to always be on you when you are in combat. It gives you Conquest Points, helps you take control or maintain control of a region, and allows crystals to fall. All of these things are goooood. If signet runs out, go back to the Guard. If you are in a city that isn't your home city (barring Jeuno), then you'll have to go to Embassy for your country to get signet. Signet lasts for 1 hour for each rank you have (so 5 hours at Rank 5). Signet also allows Beastman seals to drop, which are very important level 40+, but you need a ton of them. SAVE EVERY ONE. This isn't necessary if you are going to farm monsters that don't give you any experience (ones that check as Too Easy to be Worthwhile)

You can check the difficulty of a monster by having it targetted and pressing ctrl-c or alt-c. There are 7 levels of difficulty: Too Weak to be Worthwhile (they will provide no experience or crystals); Easy (they should be easy to defeat); Decent (Not that difficult a challenge); Evens (casters will die to these 1 on 1, and fighter-types will have a challenge); Tough (nearly everyone dies to these 1 on 1); Very Tough (even harder than tough, but good targets for relatively low level party to go after); Incrediably Tough (by the time you get to level 20+ you should try to always fight these and be in a party). There is one other result you might get "Impossible to Gauge" monsters are Notorious Monsters (NM), meaning they are quite a bit tougher than the other monsters in the area, and they usually have the potential to drop something special (how special depends on the NM).

Check whatever you want to attack. Keep in mind that IT check is misleading. If you are lvl 20 (example) everything above 23 (or 24?) will be an IT. So killing an IT crab (lvl24) doesn t mean that you can go and whack an IT elemental-it could easily be 40+ :)) So learn monster levels and weaknesses in the area you plan to fight. --Skeeve excerpt, my comments: Very important to either look levels of monsters in your area up yourself, or listen to people with experience. Eventually you'll want to kill ITs almost exclusively, so you need to know what level they are from outside sources. Checking is very important at low levels or when you are soloing though.

LEARN HOW TO CRY FOR HELP!!!
Nobody can help you unless you let them. If a monster is red, nobody but you or your party can attack it. Don t just press Ctrl-G - make a macro that will describe to others what you are fighting and where. Nothing could be more frustrating than to watch the whole party die only because they didn t ask for help.--Skeeve Excerpt: Also pay attention to the bottom right of your screen. If someone calls for help in your area, then the name of the monster will appear there in a tannish color. Also, if you have called for help and are running, you might want to stand still for a second if someone is going to help. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you run, then the monster is running after you....this can make it hard on a white mage trying to heal you or a warrior trying to provoke the monster off....it can lead to your unnecessary death.

Even with all this information, you'll die, and that's ok. It happens a lot when you first start playing, but hopefully you'll learn to avoid death in time. It is an especially important skill for members of a party to learn (and this requires teamwork).

Being a Party Member, Being a Party Leader
Around level 9-11 you want to start being in parties. This will increase your character's experience and give you experience in group dynamics (and your job's precise role in the group). Don't let anyone power level your first character, as if you skill the early levels or the early partying levels, then you will be very ignorant about how to play properly and get a bad name for yourself.

If you need to organize or help organize a party, bear in mind the following:

Always, always, always send a tell before inviting someone. As you read the following you'll appreciate more and more how much needs to go into forming a party. As such it is important to indicate to prospective members that you have been building you party well. Politely tell them the levels and jobs of the people in the party, and ask if they would like to join. It is ok to /tell people that don't have thier party seek on, but remember that they might well not want a party at all, so be extra polite. If someone refuses, then wish them a good day/hunting and remember the name and try not to bother them again. Also, try to get input from other party members if you are unsure what jobs to go after now (but keep reading for more advice).

You can invite someone by selecting them pressing "enter" and going to the "invite" option. Also you can go to the Party menu under the 'main menu' (use the '-' key on the numpad). There you can the "Find Members" option will look for people within 1 level of *you.* However the level range can be changed (press enter when you have the very top non-name area selected). You can also do a search via the 'main menu'. A Search via name, or level, or job and level can all work. They must be in the same region to be invited though (what region a zone is in is clearly indicated on the "Region" option in the Main menu).

Advanced inviting: Where you type in text to talk you can also enter commands. "/partycmd add NAME" (no quotes and NAME=name of the person you want to invite) should invite that person to the party if they are in the same region as you. I have encountered some problems with this though, and it doesn't always seem to work. /sea is the basis of the search command. By default this shows you everyone in your current area. The parameters for this can be as many of the following as you want: all, friend, linkshell, name NAME, race RACE, job JOB, level #, rank #, home HOMETOWN, are AREA, region REGION, inv, away, - . "all" means to expand the base search to everyone in the world, not just the current zone. "friend" means to confine the results to only people on your friends list. "linkshell" confines the results to only people on your *currently equipped* linkshell. "name" looks for a particular NAME (I am using that to stand for the name of the person you are looking for), this must be spelled exactly (but case doesn't matter). "race" is one of the 5 races, but RACE uses a shorthand, Hum, Elv, Tar, Mit, Gal. "job" uses the 3 letter abbreviation of the the jobs; WAR, MNK, WHM, BLM, RDM, THF, DRK, PLD, BRD, BST, RNG, NIN, DRG, SAM, SMN. "level" is followed either one number, or a range (this is the lower number, then the higher number seperated by a dash, "level 34-36" confines the search to people level 34 to level 36). "rank" works just like level, either a number 1-10, or a range. "home" is followed by "San", "Bas", or "Win" (as always, no quotes needed in the actual command). "area" needs the exact name of an area after it, I've never used this, but I expect two or more word names need quotes around them (as with macros). "region" is like area, but confines the search to the named region. "inv" confines the search to people looking for parties. "away" confines the search to people who have marked themselves "away." "-" can be used right before another command, and reverses the order the names are displayed in. (PS. With "region" and "area" you are limited to regions and areas you have been to with that character).

Listen to others with more experience (I say this later as well, but it is worth repeating). Listen to the wants and concerns of your partymates as well, a happy party is important. Have the duties of the party distributed before you start. Name someone to pull monsters to the party so that the mages will have time to rest (impossible if everyone is constantly moving). Have the Mages split up debuffs among each other so that no one is casting debuffs for the entire battle (the sooner all debuffs hit the more effect on the battle they have). Arrange a skill chain with the warriors, and stick to it. Make sure the Mages are aware of what element the skill chain is, so they can Magic Burst off it. If you have a Thief in the party, make sure the Melees know that they *shouldn't move* as this will make the Thief's special attacks hard to pull off. People with Thieves and Thief subs over level 15 should be on one side of a monster, other melees and the tank should be on the other.

Try to keep everyon's levels within 2-3 of each other. Also, try to keep the levels "top heavy," as it is much, much better for experience to have two 13s and four 15s than it is to have four 13s and two 15s. Remember that the highest member in a party determines the base experience (before being multiplied by the party multipler and divided out and other such things are done). Hence it usually isn't a good idea to invite somone that is of a higher level than anyone else in the party, unless you are going to invite several such people.

Make sure your equipment is up to date and get food if you can. Make sure that party members keep their equipment up to date and eat food if they can as well.

It is ok to kick people for being rude jerks in a party. If someone is harassing another party member and that person doesn't like it (you might have to /tell the apparently "harassed" member to be sure) then it is ok to tell the harassing member he will get kicked if he doesn't stop. Then, of course, kick him if he doesn't stop. A happy, tightly-knit group is better than a bickering one.

Take on a few toughs to make sure everyone knows how to handle thier position. Then move to VTs and ITs.

If you need to leave a party, inform them half an hour in advance, and find a replacement if you can (assuming they don't find one). If you can find a replacement, then you can leave sooner if you wish, but make sure they can take up what your role was in your party. On this vein, remember to tell replacements what their jobs in the party shall be. If you were a White Mage who had to protect, cure, dia, and paralyze, then tell the White Mage replacement that they will need to do the same.

You want one main healer in the party, that is a White Mage, though a Red Mage can do this job ok if you have to. I hear a Red Mage and a Bard can take care of a party just fine without a White Mage, but I have no personal experience of this (I don't doubt it though).

You want debuffing/buffing power, in the form of at least 2 jobs that can debuff pretty well. The White Mage can buff very well and has some good debuffs. The Black Mage has a several good debuffs and some Black Mage only debuffs. The Red Mage is the king of debuffing, having nearly every Black and White debuff spell in the game. The Bard can debuff and buff very well, and all of his abilities stack with spells. Summoners also have a number of good debuffs, but only if they have all of the Avatars (non-spirit summons).

You *need* one tank, and it can be nice to have extra people with provoke too, but not necessary, per se. The Tank must have provoke, and should use it every 30 seconds (which is as often as they can use it). They are preferably a Paladin or Warrior, though at later levels a Ninja can do if they have their Blink spell and the tools to fuel it for a long time (and are subbing war). You don't want more than 1 tank, but at low levels (before 20 sometimes), an extra person that can provoke can help against highly damaging monsters/moments...usually not needed though.

Everything else should be a damage dealer, and some damage dealers can also do some of the above roles. Pretty much every class I didn't mention above is a damage dealer. Black Mages are also damage dealers, but you don't want more than 2 of these in a party, and usually one is fine (getting a good Red Mage over a second Black Mage is usually a good idea). You preferably want 3 damage dealers that use weapons, and *at least* 2, so that they can do skill chains for the Mages to magic burst off of. This will increase your damage dealing a great deal. Remember that dealing more damage means the mob is alive for a shorter amount of time, hence it does less damage to you...so you don't need to heal as much. This is why you want to focus on damage dealers after you get your healer and a tank, though having people that can do multiple roles (Red Mage, Black Mage/White Mage, etc) doesn't hurt. A Bard is rather like this too in that they increase the damage output of others so much that they more than make up for their lack of combat. You'll want to see the section below for information on Skill Chains and Magic Bursts, these are essential skills. Good Weapon-using Damage Dealers are Rangers, Monks, Dark Knights, Thieves, and Dragoons. Warriors (with Beserk), Samurai, and Ninja can benefit the group though, so try to get one of these (a Samurai is insanely good at Skill Chains, as you can read in my above section on jobs). Black Mages are the premier magic damager, and Red Mages can do decent damage as well (and can join in magic bursts). Summoners are not very good damagers at present (sans Fenrir), as far as my knowledge goes.

Listen to those with more experience (you'll learn in time if they are wrong or not); Find a spot where you can pull monsters to you, since during the pulling you are giving your mages a chance to rest, this cuts downtime and increases the number of exp chains; If people are dying a lot, then someone isn't doing their job or the monsters are too tough. Someone isn't doing their job if thier equipment is really out of date (see below for proper types of equipment for jobs generally, and bear in mind anything more than 5 or so levels old is probably out of date for weapon users--mages can get by with worse if they have the proper stat boosting gear), or if they aren't healing/provoking/pulling before people are ready/etc.

A Party is probably going to give you your first experience with Experience Chains. This is how they work. When you/your party defeat(s) an enemy that checks Even or tougher *to you*, and then defeats another Even or better opponent within a certain time frame after the first kill (time frame depends on your level), then you will get an EXP Chain which gives bonus experience. Normally you can only get up to 200EXP at a time, but Experience Chains allow you to go beyond this. The time-frame decreases until you get to the 6th EXP Chain (7th slain monster), then it stays constant. Good parties will be able to do chains of 4 or 5 rather easily, and 6 every so often. Extremely good parties can do better, but it does get a bit easier at higher levels.

Whatever you do, whenever you do it check mages MP bars first. Then think, may be it is better to postpone your actions. If not sure, ask mages :))) --Skeeve excerpt, my comments: Yes, yes, yes! Always keep an eye on the mp gauges! I can't count the number of times my party has died because the puller was too engrossed with pulling, and got something tough when the mages had no mana. On the other side of the coin, as a Mage you should be telling people when you need to rest, just to be safe.

Combat and Magic Skills:
As you use spells, weapons, craft, are hit in combat, your related skills go up. There are 7 types of magic (Divine, Dark, Enfeebling, Enhancing, Healing, Elemental, and Summoning), many different weapon skills (Great Axe, Axe, Great Sword, Sword, Polearm/Spear, Great Katana, Katana, Dagger, Hand-to-hand, and others, all "great" weapons are two-handed versions).

Whenever you hit a monster or a monster hits you, you gain TP to you TP%. Usually only a few percentage points. This TP% can go up to 300%. This TP can be used for Weapon Skills (WS), which you gain as your weapon skill level goes up. You get your first one at Skill Level 10, and later ones depend on the weapon and the Job (some WS's are only useable by a limited number of jobs).

Learn skill chaining and magic bursting early. On a side note. Japanese are not familiar with term "magic burst", when you try to use it they think of BLM spell "Burst" (lvl 54), they use "magic blast" instead; happened to me couple of times :)).--Skeeve excerpt, my comments: Samurai become masters of Skill chains, especially once they get to level 30 and beyond, they get far more TP than any other job, which can greatly aid in how often you can burst. Skills chains are gained by using the right combination of Weapon Skills in the right order. You want each one separated by 3 seconds (so if you see one readied, and you are next, count to 3 or have /wait 3 in your macro for the WS). You'll have to go to the Skill Chain chart on this site to find out what the possible chains are....they aren't easy to describe. Magic Bursts happen when about 1 second to 4 seconds after the Skill Chain is used, you have a spell of the proper element (depending on the chain) go off. This means you want to start casting before the chain goes off...how much before depends on how long the spell takes to cast. Also, an important note on Skill Chains: Level 2 chains are ones that have more than one element (like Fusion, which is Fire + Light), and you cannot chain further once you do one of these...otherwise you can keep chaining on a monster until everyone has used up their TP (so if you had a party with 4 weapon-users, you could chain 4 WS's together).

The Maximum skill level you can obtain/use in any non-craft skill is determined by your current job and subjob and their levels. The subjob only comes into play if it has access to a skill that your main job doesn't (it doesn't enhance the maximum level of a skill, and if the subjob and main job share a skill, the main job will always grant the higher potential maximum). Different jobs are suited to different skills. For instance, the Black Mage at any level can have a higher maximum Elemental Magic skill than any other job of that level. Naturally though, you have to use a skill to get to that level. You must fight even mobs or better to get to your maximum (which means you probably won't get there until you are partying).

Healing, Enhancing, Singing, and Summoning Magic skills can be worked on outside of combat. You need merely cast/sing a lot to improve it. With Singing, Healing, and Enhancing, it is best to be just outside your mog house. You can run in and all your mana will be restored, then run back out. Summoning must be done outside of town, however.

Equipment by Job
Keep you spells, gear, weapon, armor, accessories updated. If you are way behind then stop leveling go make money and upgrade your... whatever you need to upgrade. Your party depends on it. If you have weak defenses your whm have to heal you more (instead of your tank). If you don't have current spells you hit for less, prolonging battles forcing your whm to heal more and increasing downtime. At any level and in any circumstances you might be attacked. At a given level you should be able to survive at a least critical hit. If you can survive special, attacks more power to your group. Don't believe this myth that is not supposed to be hit, tell it to this gob that just killed you in one bomb toss :)) Copied from Skeeve : )

Tanks (Warriors and Paladins primarily) need to focus their equipment on Vitality gain and defense. Agility will help as well, if they have a reasonable chance of dodging attacks. After you have finished your focus on Vit gain and defense, fill in the remainder of your items with stuff suitable for Melee Damagers. I believe Steamed/Boiled Crab will help your defense greatly.

Melee Damagers (Thieves, Dragoons, Ninja--who can also be expensive to maintain tanks, Samurai--sorta, Dark Knights, and Monks) need to focus on dexterity, attack, damage, strength, and accuracy. If you are having trouble hitting, get items to increase your accruacy if you can, otherwise get items to increase your defense. If you aren't dealing enough damage, increase your strength and your attack rating. Make sure you equipment gives you a high defense (keep it upgraded) as you will get hit now and then, and may even have to tank a few hits in emergencies. Of course, make sure your weapon has a good damage rating. Meat Mithkabobs are a powerful food for damagers.

White Mages have two important stats, Mana and Mind. Mana allows you to cast spells, while Mind increases the effectiveness of those spells. Mind will make your cures cure for more (below the cap for each spell, Cure is capped at 30 and Cure II is capped at 90 for instance). If you are a race with low Mana, such as Galka or Elvaan, then you'll want to focus more on +mana equipment, even +5 or +10 mana is a big deal at lower and even mid levels for these races. Elvaans have the highest mind so it isn't as important to work on mind for them. If you are a Tarutaru, then you have more mana than you know what to do with, but your mind is abysmal, so get a lot of +mind gear. Humes and Mithra have about average stats in this area, so get a little of both. Roasted Mushrooms are a great food for White Mages, as they give Mind, mana, and mana regen boni.

Black Mages need Mana and Int. Tarutaru have large amounts of mana and more int than anyone else, so they make the best Black Mages (given equally skilled players!) They can safely focus on increasing their Int even more so that they will almost always deal full damage. Other races need to increase both Intelligence and Mana. Elvaans and Galka need to work on thier mana especially, wheres as Humes and Mithra can take a more balanced approach. Pies are great for Black Mages (they give int and mana gain).

For Bards and Beastmasters, Charisma is very important, aiding in songs and charming respectively.

Rangers need good agility to hit things, and good *Ranged Accuracy*, which is different from regular accuracy.

Summoners need good mana levels and good mana regen. How much thier abilities (intelligence, mind, etc) aid them is unknown to me. They especially need food and later equipment to aid thier mana regen, as they can go through a lot very quickly. Juices are a boon (as they are for any 'mage' job).

Macros
The following will teach you how to set up and use macros, which are sets of commands placed together and executed as a whole. Macros are a term you will here alot about, and they are very crucial to learn, and border on essential or mandatory to play the game. But don't worry, they are pretty easy. This was largely written by Ralluwen on the Allakhazam General Final Fantasy XI discussion forum in the thread the majority of this document came from, only small corrections were needed. Thanks Ralluwen!

Commands:If at any time you forget or don't know how to use a command you can type /? for a list of commands, you can also specify a command after /? for more informtion about it.

A general rule on macros: You can only have one macro activated at a time. If you start another macro then whatever macro that was running will be canceled. This is repeated in the section on the /wait command.

Setting up Macros
You can access macro's via the main menu on the second panel, it is about half way down. Click the button and two rows of square buttons will appear along the top to the left. You are now editing your macros.

You will initially notice several defualt macros, you should poke around inside by clicking on them and see how they are set up as examples, however most are not very useful, and some are actually not recommended. You can probably delete them (I will explain below) or just not use that macro set. Particulary you will not want to use the macro that disbands from your party and says you want to play solo. That can sound extremely rude and might enrage people. If you want to leave a party, you should inform them well in advance (like 15-30 minutes).

Back to macros, you have before you two rows of 10 buttons, this is one Macro Set, and there are ten macro sets for a total of 200 macros. The best way is to use a different set depending on your current job or party role.

Leave the first set as is for now and go to the second set, simply press down until you see "Macro Set #2" in the box above.

The first row is for the CTRL+# key combos and the second row is for ALT+# combos, each button has this on it. I find the ALT ones best used for common commands like spells or abilities, and the CTRL ones for occasional messages like MP/TP reports, pull messages or your location. It is up to you.

Scroll until you highlight ALT-1, and hit enter, it will open up a window with a Title box and 6 text boxs for the commands. We will start with a real easy macro and a useful command to know. The /echo command will send text to your chat box, but won't send it to anyone else, this way you can enter text into a macro to inform yourself of information while not bothering party members if they don't need to know it.

First Type Hello in the title box, next click on the first line and hit enter until a cursor appears in it then type:

/echo Hello World!

Now hit esc until you are back to the normal screen and have no menus up, now hold down alt and press 1.

You should see in your text box at the bottom of the screen: "Hello World!" in an off-white color (unless you changed the color).

Now this is a pretty pointless macro, but it shows you how to go about making one, you will need to enter some real commands to make it do something useful. Below are some commands you will want to learn about.

But first lets get rid of that macro, go back through the main menu to the macro edit area and highlight that macro again, you can either go into the macro and manually delete everything, or simply press the Numpad + (Plus) button to edit the cut and paste menu, just click on cut and it will disappear effectively deleting it.

Although you likely dont want to put it somewhere else, you can move to another macro on any row or in any set and paste what you cut into it. If you simply want to make a duplicate macro, you will first have to cut it, then paste it back into that macro slot, and then paste it again elsewhere.

Event Commands

/ma "Spell Name" "Target" - This is one each caster will become intimate with. For single word spells, you don't need the quotations, but it doesn't hurt to add them, it is a good habit to always add them, likewise for single word targets. An example of this would be /ma "Cure" "" or /ma "Stone" "" You can see a list of your currently available spells using the CTRL-M or ALT-M shortcut, or via the abilities button on the main menu. (Please note, the and parts will be explained below)

/ja "Ability Name" "Target" - This is one melee classes will become intimate with, although casters also get job abilities too. It works pretty much exactly the same as magic, except obviously, it isn't magic =p You can see a list of your currently available job abilities using the CTRL-J or ALT-J shortcut, or via the abilities button on the main menu.

/ws "Weapon Skill" "Target" - This is for executing a weapon skill, which can be done when you have over 100% TP. Each weapon type has a variety of skill that are learned as you gain more profiecency with that weapon, you probably won't be able to use any until you are level 4 or 5 and gain 10 points of skill in that weapon class. You can see a list of your currently available weapon skills using the CTRL-W or ALT-W shortcut, or via the abilities button on the main menu.

/item "Item Name" "Target" - This will use an item in your inventory, usually a potion or food, this command isn't all that important to begin with or even later on. You can get a list of items you currently possess using CTRL-I or ALT-I

/rangedattack (also /ra, /shoot, CTRL-D or ALT-D) This will fire a ranged or thrown weapon (such as a bow, crossbow, gun, pebble, dart, boomarang or grenade) at your current target if you have such a weapon properly equiped.

Chat Commands
/echo (Message) - This will display the message in your chat window only, this is useful for reporting information such as your current grid position or when a spell or ability is ready again.

/say (Message) - (Also /s, CTRL-S or ALT-S) This will send your message to people in your immediate vacity (about fifty feet or so, pretty much anyone you can see on screen). But note anything you say will be public and anyone may hear it. This is best used when asking question about the immediate area you are in.

/shout (Message) - This will send a message across the entire area you are in, anyone in the same area (ex: an entire section of a city). This should be used sparingly and only in instances when you are looking for help over a broad area. You shouldn't repeat your message more then once in about five or ten minutes per zone, it isn't a good idea to use this command as part of a macro.

/tell (Recipient) (Message) - (Also /t, CTRL-T or ALT-T) This will send you message specifically to a single character (as stipulated by the first word, i.e. there name) and no one else. If you begin a conversation with someone over public channels like say or shout, it is perferable you take it to tells after the first few exchanges. You can also reply to the last person who sent you a tell by hitting ALT-R, this will automatically type out the /tell command along with that persons name, all you have to do it type your message and hit enter. You won't use this much in macros.

/party "Message" - (Also /p, CTRL-P or ALT-P) This command will send a message to your entire party (or alliance). This should be used to inform them about your status and things that are occuring. For example you may want to tell them you are pulling something to attack (only do this if you are designated to pull it) or that you are "Low on mana, need to rest!" You can talk openly as if having a conversation, but try to do so limitedly and in between battles. You will most likely use this chat channel for macros.

/linkshell "Message" - (Also /l, CTRL-L or ALT-L) This command will send a message to your entire linkshell, generally you won't use this in macros.

Misc Commands
The are countless other useful commands you should familirize youself with.

/target "Target" - This command will simply change your target (if you aren't locked onto another one), it is useful for targeting a specific person when you might not be able to see them.

/check "Target" - (also /c, CTRL-C or ALT-C) This is one of the most critical commands to learn, used on a monster it will allow you to gauge his strength in relation to your own, but be careful, it is not always accurate and better used as a guideline, as you progress through the game monsters will become stronger then they appear, and into the 20's taking on something "easy" can carry risks. Also be wary of skeletons, ghosts and elementals, they are far tougher then they appear.

/wait ## - (## is the number of seconds from 0 to 60) This command will be very useful if you want to place a pause within your macro, say for example you wanted to inform your party ahead of time that you were going to use an ability, you could send a relevant message to a party, then on the next line have it wait maybe three seconds, and then use the ability. This may not seem important right now, but later it will become incredibly useful. You can also use it to delay an echo command, for example say you cast a spell, you could then type in a wait command for the refresh time of that spell and then have an echo command informing you that you can use that spell or ability again. However there are some limitations, remember you can only have one macro active at one time. If you hit one macro and it begins a wait command, then hit another before that wait is finished, the first macro will stop running and the second will take over. You should also note you can only wait a maximum of 60 seconds per wait command, however you can have multiple wait commands to add more time but ultimately are limited to the six lines of commands you are allowed.

/? - This command will list all the commands there are, it will also display additionaly help if you type the name of the command after it, such as "/? echo".

Command Tags
There are various "tags" you can add to your commands and macros that will return varing results. You should place them as though the appropriate text were to go there.

<hp> - This will be replaced by your HP in the form of CurrentHP/MaxHP, ex: 50/102

<hpp> - This will be replaced by your HP in the form of a percentage, ex: 49%

<mp> - This is just like <hp>, only for mana

<mpp> - This is just like <hpp>, only for mana

<tp> - This will be raplaced by your TP in the form of a percentage, eg. 258%

<me> - This will be raplaced by your name, it is useful for casting spells or usingabilities on yourself.

<target> - (Also <t>) This will be replaced by your current target, it is useful for castingspells on other players or monsters and refering to what you are targeting in chat.

<pet> - If you have a pet, this will be replaced by its name.

<pethpp> - If you have a pet, this will be replaced by your pets hp in the form of a
percentage.
<p1> - This will be replaced by the first name in your party(which is you), you can also use <p2> to <p6> to refer to your other members. You can use <a11> to <a16> and <a21> to <a26> to refer to people in other parties of your alliance.

<bt> - This is Battle Target, and will be replaced by the current npc you or your party is engaged with (red name), or the NPC you have targeted if you or your party is not engaged. Not trustworthy when more than one Monster has a red name.

<st> - This is a slightly more complex tag, when a command is executed using it, it will allow you to Select a Target, you can then TAB until you get the target you want, and hit enter, it will then use that target's name. You can also use F1 to F6 to specifically target party members using this, as such it can be very useful for players that are using curing or enhancing spells.

<stpc> - This will allow you to select a target from specifically other player characters.

<stnpc> - This will allow you to select a target from specifically other non-playing characters (both monsters and NPCs)

<lastst> - This will reuse the name last name given by an <st> tag.

There are probably more such tags, but these are just some of the basic ones.

Example Macros
Warriors: When you hit level 5 you gain the ability to Provoke the enemy and make it attack you (since you are the one of the "toughest" jobs and it is better you get hit then someone with less hp and armor like a mage), you will want to use this macro (you may want to leave out the first line and you may want to change the last line to /echo), you can only use this ability once every 30 seconds:

/p I am provoking the <target>!
/ja "Provoke" <target>
/wait 30
/p Provoke is ready!

When you hit level 15 you can the ability of Berserk which allows you to hit harder, but also means you will be hit harder by the enemy (so be careful, only do it if you are not being hit, you can also cancel it like various other spell effects), you will want to use this macro, you can use this ability every 5 minutes, and the effect will last 3 minutes:

/ja "Berserk" <me>

You will also likely use a sword to start with and gain a weapon skill around level 4 or 5, when you do you will want to use this macro to execute that weapon skill. (Note: this is with a 1 handed sword, you will have a different skill with other types of weapons)

/ws "Fast Blade" <target>

Monks: When you hit level 5 you gain an ability called boost, when you use it it will increase your next melee attacks power and each time it used again before attacking it will increase your power even more (i.e. it stacks up), you will want to use this macro (Note: DO NOT send /p messages in this macro as the other party memebers will not like hearing you use it every 15 seconds), you can use this ability every 15 seconds, each effect will only last for three minutes before wearing off, however other later used boosts will remain:

/ja "Boost" <me>
/wait 15
/echo Boost is ready!

When you hit level 15 you will want to use this macro (probably do it just before battle starts or when you know you may get hit)

/ja "Dodge" <me>

You will also gain a weapon skill with your fists around level 4 or 5, to execute it use the follow macro:

/ws "Combo" <target>

Thieves: When you hit level 5 you gain the ability to Steal an item from the monster (you won't steal what they actually drop when killed, those are completely seperate), you will want to use this macro (you can only use this on monsters and it will cause the monster to attack you if it isn't attacking someone else in your party (and even then it might attack you)), you can only use this ability once every 5 minutes:

/ja "Steal" <target>

When you hit level 15 you get the ability sneak attack which drastically increases the power of your next attack as long as you are directly behind the enemy. You will want to use this macro but be careful, you can do alot of damage and the enemy will likely be very angry about it, you can do this ability once every minute.

/p Executing Sneak Attack!
/ja "Sneak Attack" <target>
/wait 60
/echo Sneak Attack is Ready!

You will also gain a weapon skill around level 4 or 5, you will likely be using a sword since it is better for the first levels, you can execute it using the following macro:

Red Mages: You will get some spells you will want to use, you can cast them with the following macros (please note you will need to use the spell scroll before you can cast these and may need to buy the scroll if you don't have it.

At level 1 you can use:
/ma "Dia" <target>

At level 3 you can use one of the following:

/ma "Cure" <me>
/ma "Cure" <target>
/ma "Cure" <p#>
/ma "Cure" <st>

At level 4 you can use:

/ma "Stone" <target>

And so on...
You will also learn a weapon skill with your sword around level 4 or 5, you can execute it with the same command as a warrior:

White Mages: You will get some spells you will want to use, you can cast them with the following macros (please note you will need to use the spell scroll before you can cast these and may need to buy the scroll if you don't have it.

At level 1 you can use one of the following:

/ma "Cure" <me>
/ma "Cure" <target>
/ma "Cure" <p#>
/ma "Cure" <st>

At level 3 you can use:

/ma "Dia" <target>

At level 4 you can use:
/ma "Paralyze" <target>

At level 15 you will also gain a job ability called Divine Seal which will increase the power of your next healing spell (specifically Cure) (but be careful as this may make the enemy very angry at you, it is best used when there isn't an enemy your party is engaged in nearby like after battle, but it can be useful for an emergency), you can only use this once every 10 minutes:

/ja "Divine Seal" <me>

Black Mages: You will get some spells you will want to use, you can cast them with the following macros (please note you will need to use the spell scroll before you can cast these and may need to buy the scroll if you don't have it.

At level 1 you can use:
/ma "Stone" <target>

At level 3 you can use:
/ma "Poison" <target>

At level 4 you can use:
/ma "Blind" <target>

At level 15 you will also gain a job ability called Elemental Seal which will increase the power of your next elemental spell (but be careful as this may make the enemy very angry at you, it is best used when the enemy is nearly dead, but it can be useful for an emergency), you can only use this once every 10 minutes:

/ja "Elemental Seal" <me>

2 Hour Abilities

Finally, each job gains a specific ability (at level 1) called a 2-hour, it is called this as it can only be used once every two hours, they have dramatic effects that can change the course of battle in your favor, due to the power involved and the time it takes to use it again these should only be used in emergencies or a situation where you are attacking a much more powerful or critical enemy (such as a notorius monster or burning circle monster), but be careful as most will cause the enemy to become extremely angry at you. (Please note, you cannot use the 2 hour ability of your sub-job)

Warriors get "Mighty Strikes" which cause all attacks over the next 30 seconds they successfly land to be critical and do far greater damage. This damage can drastically increase the hate the enemy has for you.

/ja "Mighty Strikes" <me>

Monks get "Hundred Fists" which causes there attack delay to be reduced to nearly instant over the next 30 seconds resulting in near continous blows. This damage can drastically increase the hate the enemy has for you.

/ja "Hundred Fists" <me>

Thieves get "Perfect Dodge" which causes all attacks toward them over the next 30 seconds to be "dodged" or result in misses, this can allow a thief to stay alive when being attacked for a considerable time and is useful for running away or eleminating the enemies ability to deal damage until other party members are able to heal the thief, or safely attack the enemy. (It would be incredibly useful on a monster that uses Hundred Fists) This ability however requires you to be the one being attacked and as such carries with it risk as you will eventually take damage if the monster doesn't attack someone else, and can still be damaged by magic and some special abilities.

/ja "Perfect Dodge" <me>

Red Mages get "Chain Spell" reduces the delay between casting spells to nearly zero for 30 seconds, this allows them to cast spells at a near instant rate; however they will be limited by the mana they have available to cast those spells. The damage or healing can drastically increase the hate the enemy has for you.

/ja "Chain Spell" <me>

White Mages get "Benediction" which instantly fully restores the health of all party members. The healing done with this can drastically increase the hate the enemy has for you, and in most instances will not be outdone by any class, even using there two hours, as such it should only be used near the end of battle or in the most dire of situations, perferably both. It is very likely the white mage using this will die.

/ja "Benediction" <me>

Black Mages get "Mana Font" which reduces the mana cost of spells to zero for 30 seconds, this allows them to cast spells limited only by thier delay and even when they have 0 mana remaining. The damage done with this can drastically increase the hate the enemy has for you.

/ja "Mana Font" <me>

Crafting:

You should start crafting as early as you can. If you can, print out some recipe lists from web, as they will greatly help you learn what to craft. Join the guild and get synthesis support if you can. However, don't be afraid to sell some crystals if you need money. Crafting is largely a money sink for the first 20+ levels, and it takes a lot of money to get higher...it is worth it though. On this topic, don't be afraid to take a break from leveling to gain money (kill monsters for items to sell on the AH, for example).

If you are crafting for a long time, then get advanced synthesis support. This costs 30 gil * (rank in the guild), but it lasts a lot longer and gives you a better bonus than regular support does. It is worth it!

Cooking can produce food that increases your stats, look on this site for what those increases are like, and learn to use those effects. Food can dramatically improve your performance and ability to gain experience.

Start fishing early, for the same reason. You can sell fish for profit, you can cook fish. Fish can be sold either at AH or to the guild shop; for some fish the shop pays more. Fishing guild is located in Windurst and Selbina. Baits, basic rods and rigs can be purchased there. More advanced rods are cheaper in AH, some baits are way cheaper in AH and can be cooked as well (level cooking) (Also stolen from Skeeve wholesale...fishing is the best craft to make a profit on early...you can *actually* make a profit from day one on it).

You will be capped at every multiple of 10 in any craft (10, 20, 30, etc), until you give the Guildmaster whatever item it is they request. Each cap has the same item required for everyone. You can give the cap-breaking item up to 2 levels before you hit the cap (level 8, 18, 28, etc), and this is also when you are told what the item is. Note that you don't have to make the item yourself, you can buy it from the guild or from the AH. When you break the cap, your rank in the guild changes, but the cost of synthesis support won't change until you get beyond the cap...so there is no harm in doing the cap item early.

Interacting with Others and Misc:

Don't be afraid to ask for help in the game, just don't ask for too much at once. Asking for directions is fine, or for a bit of help on a quest. Try to find out exactly how much help you need, even if you have to ask. : ) Remember to be polite when asking and grateful upon receiving help. A little bit of both goes a long way towards encouraging people to help others. Don't forget to help people later when you are able. Don't spam requests for help. Spamming is when you keep sending your help request many times (even 5 times in one minute is not acceptable). It is alright to ask for help in a area every 5 minutes or so, but doing it much more often than that is pushing it.

Whenever you are in a party (and if you get invited you can accept with a "/join" command), inform them that you are new. Often they will give you pointers and help you out. If they kick you from the party for being a "newbie," then they are jerks and not worth partying with anyhow. : )

Pressing the '-' key on the numpad opens up the main menu, which has two pages. Left and right arrow keys go between the pages, and up and down arrow keys go between options. This menu provides a wealth of capabilities, though you can do many of these things via the command bar. (Typing "/map" without quotation marks, for instance, opens the map).

Groups of players can talk to each other via 'linkshells,' which is the basis for FFXI's version of Clans/Guilds. Each member of a linkshell has a linkpearl, bag, or . Most only have linkpearls. People with bags can add members by trading a pearl to them, but they can kick members that are anywhere. Good Linkshells become groups of friends that will help each other out, and loan money and items to each other. It is best to get to know someone before joining any linkshell they are in. You can have as many pearls as you can hold, but you can only have one 'equipped' (which is done via the linkshell option in the main menu) at a time.

Join an LS ASAP, they are an invaluable source of information. Remember to be patient when asking a question, since LS members might be in the middle of a tough combat. If nothing is said within a few minutes, try asking again. Patience is especially important to remember when asking a particular person a question (they may be AFK or very busy). Most people are very helpful (in my experience), especially in your LS. Don't forget to help people later on when you can. Also, it is ok for there to be a lot of high level people in your LS. It just means they can help you better and have more knowledge. Afterall, a level 50+ person probably still has plenty of jobs at level 1...and he might decide to go level them at any time.

DON'T BEG FOR MONEY. Nothing could be more annoying. Yet, borrowing money within LS is usually not a problem. Same applies to gear. Older players often have 2-3 sets of low-level gear stashed somewhere :)).

Do not ignore quests. Many maps for example could be obtained through quests only.
Many spells and equipment could be obtained from quest for free or cheaper then by purchasing them directly. Many quests have substantial monetary rewards and all of them (with few exceptions :)) raise you fame. High fame allows you to activate more quests and affect prices in local stores. (Another Stolen Skeeve comment, quests are important!)

Learn how to use auto-translator . If you don't want to play with Japanese ever then it is your choice, but you will miss out a big group of very skillful and helpful people in the game.--Yet another Skeeve comment, with my addition as follows: The Autotranslator can express some things very well, but you *will* find it lacking for general conversation, and even some game related matters. Hopefully this will be remedied in the long run. Basically you can express combat and some quest related matters with ease, and some things you can make a hack job of...everything else you will be unable to do. To access the Translater, you either press TAB while typing a message and then you can browse the menus, or you can type part of a word, then press TAB, and it will try to finish it. For words with spaces you need to press TAB before the space (so to get "White Mage" translated, you type "White" then press TAB, select the right option, then enter).

"/blist" is the command to open your blacklist box. It will display everyone you have blacklisted. "/blist add NAME" is the command to add NAME to your blacklist. Use it sparingly. "/blist delete NAME" removes someone from your blacklist.

The Auction House (The AH) and your Bazaar:

Always check the price history before selling or buying something. This will give you a lot of information. If all the past 10 sales have been that day, then you know the item sells fast (or if only one person was buying, then perhaps that person really needed it...or both). It will give you an idea of the current going rate of the item....the going prices do fluctuate. Giant Femurs, for instance can go for between 300 to 500 quite easily, it all depends on the moment. If you can put your item up for a fairly high price, then do so.

When someone makes a bid, the game does the following: It checks to see if your bid is above anyone's set price. If you have bid high enough, then the person that has put up the *lowest priced* item will get all of your money. For instance, if I put up a Insect Paste at 1 gil, and someone bid 400 for it, I'd get 400 gil. If two or more people are tied for the lowest price, then whoever put theirs up first will get the sale. Hence, it can be wise to put your item up for a *few* gil lower than the going price. Maybe 396 instead of 400, for instance. If you put up a ton of items up like this though, and get all the sales, then other people might lower thier price a lot (from 400 to 350 or 300, for example), so don't do this too much with the same thing. Don't set the price too low, since some people will try to get it for really cheap, because.....

Always underbid first! Sure, an item might be worth 20k, but if the person put it up there for 10k or 5k, hoping they'd sell it fast, you could stand to save or make a lot of money. It isn't your fault if they set the price too low, it is theirs.

Items you put on the AH stay there for 7 weeks game time, that's about 3+ days Real Time. You can have up to 7 items spread throughout as many AH's as you want. so if you had 3 in Jeuno and 4 in Windurst, you couldn't sell anything else until an item sold. There are 4 different AH's in the game. Windurst-Kazham, Bastok-Norg, San d'Oria-Rabao, and Jeuno, the starting cities all share an AH with one of the smaller cities you'll encounter later. Selbina and Mhaura do not have an AH. Jeuno will put a fairly hefty tax on items in your bazaar and ones you put on the AH...you will be told the tax, however. Additionally, you can only remove items from an AH if you have access to where you put them up, so if you put up some Apple Pies in Windurst, and later want to remove them to change the price, you'll have to be in Windurst or Kazham.

When you put an item on the AH, it must either be an entire stack of the item, or a single item. If you want to sell 7 Silk Threads, for example, then you'll have to wait until you have 12, or sell them all individually (filling up your AH space).

Also, especially for spells, make sure you check store prices before you buy on the AH. The stores can often (but not always) be selling things for less than the going AH price.

Lastly on the AH, always, always, always make sure you put the right price in before submitting a bid. Though I have never done it, I have friends that accidently bid 10k for a 1k item, and other such terrible mistakes. Nice players give back the extra money in such cases of obvious error. If the item is fast selling, then send the person you bought it from 1 gil so they know who to send the money back to.

Now, as far as your Bazaar is concerned, it is basically a store where you can sell items from your inventory to other players. You can access it form the 'main menu,' and set prices accordingly. Mostly this works like the AH, though if you are in town you will mostly want to set the price to below AH prices, since it takes extra effort to look at someone's bazaar.

When selling a stack of items in your Bazaar, the number of the stacked items can be anything (6, 4, 7, 12), but the price you set is for *one* item, not the entire stack. Remember that when selling! I have often seen people set the price of one fire crystal at 1.2k or higher, thinking they are setting the price for the stack. This is only the case for your Bazaar, remember, at the AH you *do* set the price at the stack price. It is like this because people can choose to only buy one item from a Bazaar's stack.

When you make your bazaar, a little bag will appear next to your name, replacing your linkshell icon, if any. This is how you tell if someone has a Bazaar up. To look at a Bazaar, you must /check them, and then click/press enter on/at the bazaar button.

Items your have for sale cannot be equipped by you or used, unless you remove them from your bazaar. When adjusting prices on items, your Bazaar is shut down, so don't do this too much.

How to make money

I am putting this section under the AH and Bazaar section, because you will be using those two tools extensively in nearly all money-making schemes.

One way to make money is to mine for ores, excavate for bones, chop wood, or harvest raw materials for clothcraft. All of these can make money (though I believe the last one is the poorest at it). My LS may kill me, but excavation is greatly underrated and foolishly ignored (but they shouldn't kill me since I told them about excavating). If you do this, then there will be 3 Field Worker items that will aid your work. One will be the tunic (which helps all three), but I

Avicena
11.11.2004, 16:37
Скоби тут сайт русскоязычный ты бы хоть совесть имел стоко на англиском воткнуть не кто читать не будет лутше если не сложно ссылку дай на русскоязычный сайт по финал фентези. Я наверно поиграю :roll: надо боддержать русского производителя :D

scobi
11.11.2004, 20:57
Ави, дело в том что я сразу спросил тех komu eta infa bila interesna(Леший, и Леон) если им по англиыски будет намано,
так как пока они виразили жэлание узнат поболше о FFXI, так как с работоы время ограниченно я не хотел тратит много
времени на переводы, НО !!!
если будет сушественниы интерес у народа, я с радостью постараус обеспечит информацией на Русском языке.

nu i nekotorie linki

http://www.playground.ru/games/ffantasy11/
http://www.ogl.ru/pc/6305/main/
http://www.ozon.ru/context/soft_detail/id/1944169/
http://www.igray.ru/news.php?sid=2865

BigDi
12.11.2004, 16:31
Guide to FF (po zelaniyu)

:D